Thursday, June 20, 2013

Eric Robinson's Deep, Short Commentary on Philemon and Slavery

Eric Robinson's Deep, Short Commentary on Philemon and Slavery

The letter to Philemon is hilarious. Paul writes, "Hey, Phil, I'm always thanking God for you, cause your faithful and loving. That's why I am confident that you'll do what I am about to ask you to do of your own free will and not because I command you with the authority I have to give commands. It's about Onesimus...he is my child now because I shared the gospel with him like I did with you and he follows Jesus now too. I know he used to be your slave, but he was useless to you that way, so why don't you give him his freedom. I mean, if he owes you anything you can charge it to me; just send the bill 'attention my Father Paul' to the prison I'm sitting in for the sake of Jesus Christ. I won't even remind you that you owe me your life because I shared the gospel with you too. I'm just glad to give you this opportunity! Except you'll notice I sent Onesimus to deliver the letter even though he is my very heart, though I really wanted to keep him so he could minister to me in your name (it gets lonely in prison and I know how you want to help). I look forward to your reply since I am confident you will do even more than I am suggesting you do. Everyone says, 'Hi.' The grace of the Lord Jesus be with your spirit." (By Eric Robinson on Facebook, by permission)

No comments:

Post a Comment